Habits are learned but are mostly developed unconsciously. This is why building a new habit can be challenging, however there are a few tips and tricks that can make it easier for you:
- Set your intentions: ask yourself why you want to develop this new habit, how does it align with your goals?
- Make it simple: try incremental adjustments to build habits. For example: if your goal is to exercise more, do not start by going to the gym everyday. Instead start by going for walks or going to the gym 2 times a week.
- Make it tempting: we develop habits or behaviours that bring us pleasure, so making new habits enjoyable makes a big difference. For example: if your goal is to exercise more, try going to the gym with a friend or buying new clothes that motivate you to go.
- Make it part of your schedule: set a specific time in your day to practice your new habit. Set an alarm, put it on your calendar, or whatever helps you get into action.
- Analyze your roadblocks: identify the things that stop you from being constant and building your habit and work on them.
- Track it: use a calendar to mark whether or not you practiced your habit.
- Reward yourself: make use of the Motivations and Reward lesson and set a Personal Reward System so you can celebrate milestones.
And remember: change is hard! It is important to be patient with ourselves, our habits did not form overnight and they aren’t going to disappear overnight either. Forming or changing a habit takes around 28 days.
- Choose one new habit that you want to develop.
- Use the Achieve Habit Tracker Calendar.
- Reach the 28 days milestone!