Most people believe they have goals, but more often they are really only dreams and wishes. Dreams are imaginary, goals are based on reality. However, a dream can come to fruition by setting S.M.A.R.T Goals around it.
What Does the Acronym for S.M.A.R.T Mean?
S ─ Specific
We must include details in our goals so that we are clear about what we are trying to attain. It is not good enough to say “I want to be healthy” or “I want to be rich”. We need to clearly visualize what our dream looks like, feels like, tastes like. Questions we may ask ourselves are: what exactly do I want to achieve? How? Where? With whom? Also, think about the challenges you might encounter and why you want to achieve the goal you have set for yourself.
M ─ Measurable
Unless there is a quantifiable amount attached to our dreams, how do we know when we have attained it? We must break our goal down into concrete and measurable elements and/or numbers. Go through our goals and get a clear picture of how much, whether that be income, weight, or vacation time etc.
A ─ Attainable
Dreaming big is important. There is a saying, “if you shoot for the moon, even if you miss you’ll land among the stars”. Keeping that in mind, it’s still important that it is an achievable goal. We want to stretch to attain our goals, so nothing too small, but we should also be realistic as to not set ourselves up for certain failure.
R ─ Relevant
Ask ourselves why we want to reach this goal? What’s our reason behind the goal? Is this goal in alignment with our main vision in life, our Best Life? Does it align with our personal core values? Will it move us closer to our “10”?
T ─ Time-Sensitive
Unless our dreams have a due date, they will remain a dream. This is the biggest difference between a dream and a goal. We much give ourselves a deadline that will spring us into action. However, also ensure the deadline date is realistic, so as not to derail our goal and lose momentum or engagement.
- Revisit your Best Life Statement
- Re-write your Best Life Statement as a SMART Goal (based on your values and, a holistic approach).
- On a scale of 1 to 10, where are you to living your Best Life.
- What area is your “flat tire” that needs some pumping-up? What’s your current number?
- What milestone do you need to reach to increase your number?
- SMART Example: to self-publish a 25-page book of my poetry by January 31, 2022
- Why do you want this dream in your life? What does it mean to you?
- How it could change/improve your life if you realized this goal?
- Are you ready to start sharing your goal?